Virtual Activities for the Whole Family Oct 3-9
Reading, MA – Public Power Week is October 3-9, 2021. This annual event is celebrated by not-for-profit, community-owned electric utilities that take pride in providing safe, reliable, and affordable electricity to the local community. Reading Municipal Light Department (RMLD) invites its customers to celebrate Public Power Week virtually with the following family-friendly activities:
Pumpkin Decorating Contest (for children ages 5-13) – Kids are invited to decorate a sugar pumpkin with an electricity-themed design and submit a photo of their pumpkin to be considered for one of three grand prizes.
- A limited number of free sugar pumpkins will be available on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. Pick one up outside of RMLD’s office located at 230 Ash Street in Reading during regular business hours (M-F, 8:00 am-4:30 pm) beginning on September 27, 2021. Pumpkins are available for contest participants only. One pumpkin per child, please!
- Decorate the pumpkin at home and take a picture.
- Submit the picture to RMLD’s website by October 10, 2021. Each child who submits a photo and meets the contest criteria will be sent an RMLD goody bag by mail.
- One grand-prize winner will be selected for each age group: ages 5-7, ages 8-10, and ages 11-13. Each grand prize winner will receive a $75 Amazon gift card for school or art supplies. Winners will be announced by October 22, 2021.
Photo Scavenger Hunt (family activity) – Gather the entire family for this fun and educational activity! Submit photos of all eight electricity-related items on the scavenger hunt list and be entered to win a grand prize.
- Find and photograph all items on the scavenger hunt list.
- Submit photos on RMLD’s website by October 10, 2021. Each family who submits all photos and meets the contest criteria will be sent an RMLD goody bag by mail (one per family).
- Each family who completes the scavenger hunt will be entered into a grand prize drawing to win a family-fun gift basket containing games, movie night items, and more. The drawing will be held on October 11, 2021.
In years past, RMLD has invited the community to a family-friendly open house at its Ash Street Facility to meet the staff and enjoy fun, educational activities. However, because many of the Open House activities that the kids truly enjoy don’t align with COVID safety precautions, Public Power Week is being celebrated virtually again this year.
While it’s not the same as being together, we hope that local families will enjoy participating in these virtual activities commemorating Public Power Week. We look forward to resuming our in-person Open House next year.
RMLD provides electricity to Reading, North Reading, Wilmington, and Lynnfield Center. Participation is limited to RMLD customers. For more information including complete contest rules and eligibility, please visit rmld.com/virtual-public-power-week-2021.